Powered By Blogger

Monday, 24 October 2011

British Sign Language

Currently learning British Sign Language at Level 1.
First few weeks reminded me of learning French in school; Name, where you live, your job, colours, numbers. Little did I know how difficult it was going to be and how much my confidence would be tested during my time learning.

I currently work with people who have a combined sight and hearing loss and manyof my colleagues are Deaf. With a big D. I am slowly learning that there is a difference between being deaf and being Deaf.

It is such an amazing language and I am priveleged to be learning it. I have been enabled with my hands, face and body to communicate with people I would usually try and avoid. I know actively seek out people at work who are BSL users, most I come across with BSL as their First Language.

I have learnt a lot from my classes and exams, but have found that I am learning more and more from the people I meet, and I appreciate the help I get when I fingerspell a word I do not know the sign for and they give me the correct sign, with a smile alongside it. I have also developed Deafblind Manual skills and been able to have a conversation with people who uses 'Hands On BSL' where the person places their hands over yours to 'feel' the signs where eyesight has deteriorated.

Deaf culture is a minority all of its own, and the people within that culture very proud to say they are part of that culture. Through my current job it has opened my eyes to the fact that more hearing people should make the effort to communicate with people who use different communication methods than ourselves; if only more effort was put in at home as it is for journeys to foreign countries, learning basics like 'Hello' and How are you?' or 'Do you want sugar with your coffee?' seem to be the done thing when going abroad, but a Deaf person is avoided in todays society to avoid awkwardness and confrontation.

If only we were taught as youngsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment